Six miles of pristine, white sand beaches adorn the southwest Maui city of Kihei. All of the best of Hawaii is available right here, from snorkeling to surfing, whale watching to lush flora and sunshine-filled days. Does this sound like your kind of paradise? Chelsea Dimin, local real estate agent and Kihei luxury home expert, couldn’t agree more. If you’re looking to buy a second home in Kihei, making a few good choices can help you find the perfect one.
Choose the right Kihei luxury home
- How much time does your family spend on vacation, and what sort of vacationers are you? Do you get away to relax and take it easy, or do you prefer action-packed days with new adventures?
- How would you use a second home? Do you anticipate keeping the circle small — just family and friends — or are you seeking to generate some rental income when you are not there?
- How much time do you realistically expect to spend in your Kihei luxury home? If you haven’t had a vacation in three years, you may not utilize your property well. However, if you are a regular vacationer and love the idea of a “home away from home” in a tropical paradise, a Kihei house for sale may be just what you are looking for.
- Might imminent changes in your family, such as the arrival of a new grandchild or an elderly parent moving into your household, affect your ability to enjoy your second home?
- What features matter most to you in a vacation home?
Choose the right realtor
How do you choose the right realtor? Look for these traits:
- Local experience and expertise - A realtor who lives, works, and plays in Kihei will know the community and its resources, providing first-hand knowledge of the best areas, local amenities and services.
- Proactive vs. reactive approach - Choose a realtor who will go to work for you, reaching out to you with properties, updates, seeking solutions to problems and soliciting information about properties before you have to ask.
- Outstanding listening skills - As your representative, the agent must take the time to learn your needs and your desires and be willing to work within the parameters of them.
- Negotiation skills - When it comes to making an offer, determining the terms of sale, your agent has to know how to get you the best possible deal for that Kihei luxury home. She must work with skill, confidence, and resolve to represent your interests.
- Proven track record - Great realtors develop long-term relationships with their clients and often have repeat customers. Inquire about her performance data and speak with former clients.
Choose the right time
There’s more good news for the economy as a whole. Inflation, which peaked at 9% in the summer of 2022, has now receded to 5% and this descent toward a healthy 2% continues. Analysts are now optimistically watching the Fed to see if interest rates for home loans will now decline. The purpose in all of the rate hikes over the last year has been served. They were meant to curb inflation, and now that this is being achieved, lowering rates should follow. This is great news for any homebuyer who will have a mortgage.
Choose the right location
Single-family Kihei luxury homes typically offer privacy and beautiful vistas in the most desirable locations. They are out of the hustle-and-bustle of the community and provide a true sanctuary. Alternatively, condos offer convenient amenities, such as grilling areas, shared greenspace, and swimming pools without requiring maintenance work from you. The only upkeep that concerns the condo owner is their own personal unit. Everything else is covered by fees.